Emma Hutchinson, MSW, RSW
We all need extra support at times. We may feel stuck in patterns within ourselves or our relationships and long to make a shift. Or we may not quite know how to be our genuine selves in the world we have inherited. It is no easy feat to reach out for support, but in doing so, you are taking steps toward change.
Working together with a counsellor to untangle and process long-held beliefs, feelings, and unresolved experiences can support you to create a stable foundation to build upon. I work with people around issues like anxiety, anger, shame, meaning and purpose, and lingering grief. I can work with you to rebuild a positive sense of yourself and your place in the world and to move towards living a life that aligns with your values. Our ways of working together can include talking, learning supportive tools, processing challenging experiences with Internal Family Systems and EMDR, and accessing deeper parts of yourself that you may not have been aware of.
I love working with teens and adults and wholeheartedly embrace and support the exploration of all genders and sexual orientations. Reaching out for help takes courage. A nice way to start is with a free 30-minute consult to meet, see the space, and ask any questions you might have.
On a personal note, I live in the Comox Valley with my two teenagers, partner, and our sweet dog and cats. I love to grow and eat food, play music, spend time in nature, and be with family and friends. I look forward to connecting with you!
Works with: Teens, adults, couples
Areas/Issues: Anxiety, loneliness, meaning and purpose, relationship concerns, life path, life transitions, grief and loss, self-confidence.
Therapeutic Modalities: Internal Family Systems-informed, narrative therapy, solution-focused, humanistic, collaborative, trauma informed, mindfulness-based practices, Gottman couples therapy.
- Master of Social Work, University of Calgary
- Bachelor of Social Work, University of Victoria
- Internal Family Systems Basics Course
- Vancouver School for Narrative Therapy Foundations Certificate
- Circle of Security Parenting facilitator training
- Touchpoints Individual Level Training Program
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills
- Relational Practice for Cultural Safety
- Trauma-Informed Practice
- Marshall Rosenberg’s Non-Violent Communication
- Gottman Method Couple’s Therapy Level 1
- LGBTQ+ Clients: Queer Affirmative Strategies to Address Sexual and Gender Identity
- Blue Cross (not billed directly from our office)
- Sunlife (not billed directly from our office)
- First Nations Health Authority (FNHA)
- Crime Victims Assistance Program
*Emma is a professional member of the BC College of Social Workers as well as the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors. Please check your benefits or insurance coverage prior to booking an appointment.
Meet with Emma
If you are interested in receiving counselling from Emma, please click the button below, phone (250) 871-1184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org